loosely adapted from Bon Appetit
Katherine Deumling- Cook with What You Have
This is my idea of a perfect fall/winter dish.
Serves 6-8 as a side
- ¾ cup French green lentils
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups spinach, torn or roughly chopped
- 2-3 ounces feta or soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place squash on a baking sheet and toss with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika, and salt. Roast 20 minutes. Turn squash over. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
Meanwhile cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again.
Combine lentils, squash, and oil from baking sheet with spinach, half of goat cheese, mint, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon good olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining goat cheese over.