I learned this dish in Calabria (the toe of the Italian boot) many years ago. When all the ingredients are at their peak it’s a wonderful, simple dish. Serve with bread and some cheese and you have dinner. And the vegetables need to be cooked until they are quite soft. It’s much more flavorful this way so be patient.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, and a bit more for finishing
- 2 garlic cloves, smashes with the side of a knife and roughly chopped
- 1 lb green beans, tipped and cut into 2-3 inch lengths
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into about ½ inch cubes
- Salt, freshly ground pepper,
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
Heat the olive oil in large, sauté pan. Add the green beans and sauté for a few minutes on high heat add the potatoes, tomatoes, salt and garlic and cook on med-high to high heat, stirring frequently. When the potatoes and beans are quite tender (about 15 -20 minutes) add the pepper, parsley if using and cook for another minute or two. Serve hot or at room temperature with a generous drizzle of good olive oil.