- 1 pound collard greens, chopped
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 TBS sunflower seeds
- 1/2 red onion, sliced (add to steamers with collard greens)
- 6 kalamata olives, sliced
- 3 TBS pumpkin seeds
- 5 drops soy sauce
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While steam is building up, slice collard greens leaves into 1/2-inch slices and cut again crosswise. Cut stems into 1/4-inch slices. Let both leaves and stems sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Press or chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out more of its health-promoting properties.
- Steam collard greens for no more than 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss collard greens with the remaining ingredients and any of the optional ingredients you desire while they are still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately).