From Rachel Duerst
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peeled and shredded carrots (preferably of different colors)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting tops of puffs
Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 400 degrees.
While oil heats, make a batter by stirring together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, honey, sugar, milk, vanilla and carrots. Drop large spoonfuls (about 1 tablespoon each) of batter into the hot oil (the puffs will expand as they cook). Fry on one side and then the other for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove the puffs from the oil and cool on paper towels or a wire rack. Use a sifter to dust the tops with powdered sugar. Enjoy while still warm.
Makes about 20 puffs