- 1 lb. beets, scrubbed or peeled and quartered or sliced (I would grate, Cuisinarts work well if you have one).
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sm. red onion, halved & thinly sliced
- [grate fennel raw and add if you like flavor]
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground coriander, lightly toasted
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 lb. snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tsp. salt
Soak onion in cold water for 10 min.; drain. Whisk together vinegar, coriander, sugar and salt in a salad bowl, then add oil in slow stream, whisking. Toss onion and beets with dressing. Steam peas over boiling water, covered, 2 min. then transfer to ice water. Drain well & toss with beet mixture.